On the loss of a community green


This patch of greenery had always offered me comfort and intrigued my curiosity, because it linked to my experience of allotment gardening in England. Every morning and evening, on my way to the office and back home, I could spot the plants changed a little bit, sometimes it’s the orange flowers blossoming at the corner, sometimes it’s the tiny tomatoes growing visible on the stand. I haven’t really spent time to find out who owns the land and who participate in it, assuming that everyone is happy with the chaotic creativity like me and it would always stay there.


One evening, when I walked home, I was utterly gutted to see all plants were gone and the place turned into a parking lot. The mystery was resolved that the piece of land is privately owned, so it’s understandable that the owner would love to see it more profitable. But the loss of community greenery is shared by everyone who appreciates the accidental urban farm on the roadside.

Surprisingly, the vegetation is back after two months. Part of it is weeds, and part of it is grown by the community members.
 
And then the sign was up by the city government to indicate the site as open for public involvement for its greenery. 
 
But on the other hand, they tarred the ring of the site for car parking, a once for all solution to the keep community-grown vegetation no longer able to come back. This is probably the end of the story here. To erase the already flourish greenery in the community, and replace it with an empty and dull space. 
 

No comments: